- Take 5 minutes and meditate, deep breathe, pray, whatever speaks to you! It could be 5 minutes at your desk, in your car while you wait to pick up the kids or before you go into the grocery store. Just do it! A few months ago I downloaded the Calm app in the app store and I love it. I can set it to remind me to meditate at a certain time each day. I can choose to do guided meditations or even just use their deep breathing 5 minute "mediation". They have a free version so give it a try if that doesn't come naturally to you.
- Stop and smell the roses. Ok, ok maybe not the roses but stop and smell your favorite essential oil or herb. They have been shown time and time again that oils and herbs both can reduce stress responses and help us relax so find one you love and do it. Not sure where to find quality ones, I am not talking about bath and body works or Walmart folks so please avoid those oils. They have some synthetic ingredients which can trigger allergies and such which would not offer you the same therapeutic benefit.
- Go for a walk. Yep I said it, everyone says it, but it's true. Taking a few minutes out of your day to get up and moving can help you reduce your stress. So get out there and do it!
- Make a list. I used to remember everything and now I forget half of it ;) Thank goodness for a reminder on my google calendar or my tasks app. Whether you like paper or your an app junkie and like the electronic methods add your to do items on the list and check them off. It will help you stay organized and less stressed when you know exactly what you need to get done.
- Do something you love everyday even if it is just something little. Maybe drink your favorite tea, soak in a warm Epsom salt bath and add a little Lavender or Frankincense Oil, journal in your notebook, book a massage, facial, pedicure or manicure. Just do one thing you love or enjoy.
I know many of these have been said before but they are all helpful and are worth repeating. I say these as much to all of you and to myself, stop and enjoy the season and the beauty of the friends and loved ones you get to share it with. Be sure to share your favorite ways to reduce stress with us!